FULL PIPE ELECTROMAGNETIC FLOW METER
The TORPEE-MAG is a hot tap full profile electromagnetic insertion flow meter. Multiple electrodes placed across the entire sensor body at the equal area, measure and report the average flow rate over the full diameter of the pipe. The specific design of the multi-electrode sensor compensates for variable flow profiles, including swirl and turbulent conditions and allows installation without calibration on site.
The TORPEE-MAG can be installed without shutting down, emptying or cutting the pipe (hot tap installation). It does not require welding flanges and installation can be done in pressurized pipelines up to 16 bar.
Cost of installation is largely reduced by eliminating the need for heavy equipment (cranes, etc.) or extensive manpower. The TORPEE-MAG is the most economical flow metering solution for medium and large pipe sensor sizes, reducing drastically installation costs.
The TORPEE-MAG fits in confined spaces, can be submerged and offers complete accessibility. It can be removed in pipes under pressure for easy inspection, cleaning, calibrating or verification. It is particularly cost-effective for retrofit application.
The TORPEE-MAG comes in 2 different sizes in order to be used with 1,5 inch or 2-inch ball valves. The 1,5-inch TORPEE-MAG is available for pipe sizes ranging from DN100 up to DN1500. The 2-inch TORPEE-Mag is available for pipe sizes ranging from DN500 up to DN2500. For larger pipe sizes, please contact FLOW-TRONIC.
How does it work?
The TORPEE-MAG is a hot tap full profile electromagnetic insertion flow meter. The measurement method is based on Faraday’s Law of Electromagnetic Induction: when a conductive liquid moves through a magnetic field, it produces a voltage. The voltage is directly proportional to the velocity of the conductive medium.
The TORPEE-MAG has multiple electrode pairs placed along the axis of the sensor at the equal area of the pipe. The velocity measurements are averaged together providing the average velocity across the pipe. Flow is calculated by multiplying the average velocity by the cross-sectional area of the pipe. The specific design of the multi-electrode sensor compensates for variable flow profiles, including swirl and turbulent conditions achieving a much higher precision than single-point flowmeters. The TORPEE-MAG can be installed without shutting down, emptying or cutting the pipe (hot tap installation). It does not require welding flanges and installation can be done in pressurized pipelines up to 17 bar. Cost of installation is largely reduced by eliminating the need for heavy equipment (cranes, etc.) or extensive manpower.
The TORPEE-MAG is the most economical flow metering solution for medium and large pipe sensor sizes. The TORPEE-MAG fits in confined spaces, can be submerged and offers complete accessibility. It can be removed from pipes under pressure for easy inspection, cleaning, calibration or verification and reinstalled without process interruption. It is particularly cost-effective for retrofit applications.
The maximum number of coils and electrodes will depend on the pipe inside diameter: the bigger the pipe diameter, the more electrodes will be placed along with the sensor.
- Size: TORPEE-MAG 1.5” from DN100 to DN1525 (inner Ø) – 2 to 5 electrodes / TORPEE-MAG 2” from DN500 to DN2500 (inner Ø) – 5 to 7 electrodes
- Weight: Weight Depending on the size of sensor
- Materials: Robust sensor body: 316 stainless steel, fiberglass derivate, carbon Materials NSF-61 certified epoxy coating available as an option / Insertion hardware: 316 stainless steel / Compression seal: silicone rubber (EPDM) / Sensor electrodes: graphite
- Cable Lengths: Available from 10 m to 100 m
- Protection: IP68/NEMA 6P (sensor is submersible)
- Certifications: CE, BS 6920
- Process Connection: Min. 48 mm clear diameter for 2” TORPEE-MAG / Min. 36 mm clear diameter for 1.5“ TORPEE-MAG
- Sensor Length: Depending on inner pipe Ø and connection accessories
- Connection to Sensor: Separate (converter connected with a cable to the sensor)
- Calibration: Calibration ISO 17025 traceable
- Warranty: 2 years
- Method Electromagnetic
- Range 0 m/s to 6 m/s (bidirectional) / (max. velocity possible depending from pipe Ø and sensor type)
- Accuracy ±0.5% of reading value from 0.25 m/s to 6 m/s ± zero stability / ±0.8% of reading value from 0.02 m/s to 0.25 m/s ± zero stability
- Zero Stability ±1 mm/s
- Repeatability 0.2% of reading value
- Linearity 0.2% of range
- Fluid: Drinking water or raw water
- Min. Conductivity: 5 μmho/cm
- Flow Direction: Forward flow and bidirectional as an option
- Operating Pressure: Max. 17 bar
- Fluid Temperature Limits: -10°C (not freezing) to +60°C at 17 bar
- Mounting: Separate
- Protection: IP67/NEMA 6
- Display: White on blue backlit LCD 128 x 64 pixels / 2 programmable displays: Real-time display: indicates flow & velocity: Totalizer display: user selectable units
- Outputs: 2x 4-20 mA: galvanically isolated / Pulse/Alarm: Two programmable functions (pulses/alarms) / Pulse output for flow rate or external totalizer / Alarm output for forward or backward flow detection, min./max. flow / Outputs are isolated and protected transistor switch capable of sinking < 250 mA at < 35 V
- Communication: Modbus protocol over RS485 interface or HART protocol (optional)
- Power Supply: AC: 90 to 265 VAC at 45-66 Hz (20W/25VA) or DC: 12 to 48 VDC
- Operating Temperature: -20°C to +60°C
Technical data contained in this brochure are subject to change without prior notice, indicative only and not binding.
- Raw water intake
- Plant process
- Chemical Pacing
- Filter Balancing
- Plant Balancing
- Plant process
- Storage Management
- Pump Station Management
- Water Loss Management
- District Metering
- Minimum Night Flow Monitoring
- PRV flow based modulation
- Replacement of unsatisfactory flow meters such as pitot tube, propeller, single point velocity meter, differential pressure meter, full bore mag meters…
- Cooling/chilled Water
- Power Plants
- Raw river
- Non-ragging effluent
- Large diameter pipework
- Cost-effective due to reduced costs of installation
- Easy to install
- Robust construction (no moving parts, carbon fibre reinforced body)
- No site calibration needed (compared to Single Point Insertion flowmeters where calibration is needed)
- No flow interruption
- Accurate at low flow rates
- Insertion and removal under pressure (hot tapping)
- Ideal solution for retrofit applications